Sunday, March 4, 2012

Talking Tea Introduction


Where to begin with tea?  Tea is such a broad topic. There are so many things I can write about. And the topics range from the informative and factual to the emotional, and mythical. I suppose a good place to start is with an introduction.

Tea in my family is strong and black with milk and sugar added to taste. It is a cure-all found in an old teapot, burned to black on the outside and stained brown on the inside.  It is the gossip, the craic, the scandal and the comfort.  A not so ancient tradition, less an art, more a necessity.
 In past letters to the new world one would describe ones wealth and wellbeing in terms of having enough tobacco for your pipe and enough tea for a brew.  


The tea making in my family conjures up images of mother, grandmother, aunts and guest. This was the war cabinet of the elders, brew in hand, dealing judgment.
The War cries: “she did not” ; “If I was in your shoes” and “shocking”. The rallying call: “sure what about it”; “don’t worry about what anyone else thinks” and  “it will all work out for the best in the end”.
 
Which brings me to the title & first topic of this blog "talking tea" the idea is to share knowledge & words of wisdom  about tea or indeed words of wisdom you have recieved over a good cup of tea.  How do you best like your tea and when? Who is the person you always like to met for a cup of tea and a chat and what are the favourite topics of conversation? It's time for a cup of tea, a biscuit and a chat.

4 comments:

  1. Wow you're Irish!

    I looove herbal teas, but black tea is blah as much as that is heresy for me to say! Nothing beats a cup of peppermint tea after dinner though, yum! And GOOD green tea first thing in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty big heresy given where you come from :) No worries herbal teas are great. I find that they can really make a difference to how I am feeling on any particular day or that I choose different tea's depending on how I feel. A good green tea works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked in a tea room for several years and loved all the nuances in flavor and strength of the various teas. Your blog is quite interesting, Trish. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you very much for your comment. It is very much appreciated. It is very encouraging especially for someone who is new to blogging.

      Delete