Friday, March 9, 2012

The Tohoku Earthquake & Tsunami Anniversary Events

This time last year I was at the airport preparing to board a plane to Seattle to attend the wedding of two good friends of mine who I had met during my year teaching English in Japan.  While I was in Seattle the terrible news of the Japanese Tsunami broke and my heart did several flip flops. I was so glad that the majority of my friends based in Japan were in Seattle for the wedding and safe. I was also relieved that the Tsunami did not directly hit the area I had lived in. However I was also horrified by the destruction I saw. One of the reasons this blog exists is because of my stay in Japan and I want to dedicate this post to events that are taking place this weekend in Ireland to  mark the one year anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami that hit northern Japan on 11th March, 2011. 
 This information can be found on the Irish JET Alumni Association IJETAA website


Plum Blossom Tsunami Anniversary Concert
The proceeds from the event will go through Aid Japan for Children to the Midori no Tohoku Genki Programme to support emotionally scarred young survivors of the disaster.

Date: Sunday 11 March 2012
Time: 3.30pm
Venue: Pepper Canister (St. Stephen’s) Church, Upper Mount Street, Dublin 2 (www.peppercanister.ie/)
Tickets: €24 (€20 per ticket for groups of 20 or more) from www.ticketmaster.ie  or contact /087 191 2571    

The concert will feature soprano Mari Moriya, counter-tenor Daichi Fujiki, and Takeshi Moriuchi on piano.  For further information see http://www.plumblossomconcert.com/

Handel’s Messiah
A performance of Handel’s Messiah by the all-female Toyo Eiwa Jogakuin Choir from Japan, in aid of the relief effort in the areas of northern Japan devastated by last year’s earthquake and tsunami.

This event is presented by Music & Cultural Exchange Center International, Inc., a Japanese organisation dedicated to bringing Japanese music to the world stage.

Date: Sunday, 11 March 2012
Time: 8.00pm (doors 7.30pm)
Venue: St. Patrick’s Cathedral, St. Patrick’s Close, Dublin 8 (www.stpatrickscathedral.ie/index.aspx)
Admission: free of charge, donation boxes will be available at the venue
Information: emily@DHR.ie / 01 420 0580

The choir will be conducted by acclaimed Japanese conductor Hideyuki Tsuji, with solo performances by soprano Eri Nakamura and bass Yasunori Okumura.



No comments:

Post a Comment